Residence permit

You need a residence permit if you plan to stay in Finland for more than 90 days and you are not a Finnish citizen. A residence permit is not required if you are a citizen of an EU state, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. The permit is issued by the Finnish Immigration Service. Instructions for applying for a permit are available on the Finnish Immigration Service’s website.

  • You can apply for a residence permit once you have been accepted as a student. The permit processing time is 2–3 months.
  • You can start your studies once you have received your residence permit. Your personal coach will check the permit when the studies start.
  • You must have a valid residence permit throughout your studies.

You do not need a residence permit if you are an asylum seeker or reside in Finland based on temporary protection